Tuesday, October 18, 2011

House Tour ~ Breakfast Nook


I thought I might share a few pics of the breakfast nook today.  My favorite French cafe chairs surround the table.  It's nice that this pretty scene greets me each morning since, I'm sorry to say, I am not a morning person.  It kind of helps ease me into the day.
 

It's a simple spot ~ but so comfy and inviting.  The light comes pouring in during the day.  The farm style table is a flea market find. 

The handwritten recipes, worn with age, were given to me by Nana and are a real treasure.  I framed them up in simple black frames and attached ribbon to them to add a little more presence.  Read more about this project here.

 

When we first moved here all of the cabinets were stained ~ but over time the stain had yellowed badly.  They really dated the house, so I decided instead of going with typical white cabinets, to do something a little different and paint them black.  The built-in originally had glass covered doors on it, but during the paint process we took them down.  I liked the open shelving so much, I opted to leave the doors off which makes for easier access to the dishes.


*Note ~ always keep your eyes peeled for others castoffs on garbage day.  The floor lamp was a freebie ~ found curbside on trash day.  A couple of coats of spray paint covered over the dingy brass lamp and now here it rests in the nook's corner.  The stool at the end of the cabinet - was something my neighbor, Pam, no longer wanted and I was happy to find.  The vintage rug is courtesy of my friend Barb :) ~ something she chose to part with when she moved to her current home.  Thanks to my friend, Amanda, for all the great photos.  See more of Amanda's beautiful photography here.  And thank you for stopping by ~ I hope your week is filled with good things.  

7 comments :

  1. I love your nook. I was just thinking about your homemade chicken noodle soup and a yummy grilled sour dough sandwich we shared there.... I miss you and your nook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharon ~ I miss you too! Let's make a date to have a repeat of our lunch in the same spot. Let me know what your schedule looks like. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Layers of texture and the mix of metal and wood is always something I love. Nicely done and it looks so serene.
    Kim@reposhture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marilia and Kim! It is a very peaceful spot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana! So happy for you and LOVE your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...