Thursday, March 7, 2013

Water Sprinkler / Paper Towel Holder


Today I'm excited to share how I upcycled an old lawn sprinkler into a paper towel holder.  We all know there are scads of towel holders on the market ~ but I couldn't land on one that I was crazy about.  Then I remembered this vintage iron water sprinkler I had in the shed.  It has character galore and was such a quick fix for what I had been searching for. 


Who knew this vintage lawn sprinkler would one day end up as a kitchen accessory?


I made a few adjustments to it so it could transition from the yard to the kitchen.  I gave it a scrub,  then wiped on a couple of coats of poly (find it here) with a clean cloth.  I actually used a piece of an old t-shirt to apply the sealer then allowed it to dry thoroughly.


The roll of paper towel fits perfectly on the sprinkler.  And it's heavy enough to stay in place when someone needs to tear a sheet of paper off so it won't go toppling over.  I love my new/old paper towel holder!  What do you think ~ fun, weird, cool, yep, nope?  I'd love to know your thoughts! 

13 comments :

  1. I just LOVE this one! The first thing I wondered was about the weight and whether you could "tear." But you answered that, and then I was thinking, "Well of course; it's a sprinkler. It HAS to be weighty enough to balance when it's shooting water." So great thinking, girl. I really love how beautiful that base is, really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla ~ Yea! I'm glad you like it, I'm in love with it too (if you can be in love with an inanimate object!). The base is so pretty ~ and I love how sturdy it is. I'm glad you stopped by.

      :) Dana

      Delete
  2. I really like this; such a lovely base. Good thinking, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that it is heavy. All of the countertop papertowel holders I have ever come across are not weighted and you have to hold on to them before tearing a sheet off. Nice job on this idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Annie ~ that's another reason I couldn't find one I liked. It's so nice and heavy and I love it's rusty patina! Thanks Annie!

      :) Dana

      Delete
  4. This is really neat. I will now be on the watch for similiar items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Again, your the lady with creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo Hoo ~ so glad you think it has coolness quality! That means a lot coming from an uber cool friend like you! Thanks Cheryl.

      Delete
  6. very cool indeed,, you've got me thinking outside the box for a new papertowel holder. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debilou ~ It makes me happy to hear you are inspired to think outside of the box ~ woohoo! Have fun and please let me know what other cool idea you come up with.

      :) Dana

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...